Families with 2 year old children who meet the criteria below can apply for funding. We will pay for a place for up to 570 hours over the year at a registered childcare provider. A maximum of 15 hours per week is available.
Children become eligible in the funding period after their second birthday.
The funding periods are:
Spring 1 January to 31 March
Summer 1 April to 31 August
Autumn 1 September to 31 December
Parents or carers who receive any of the following are entitled to funding for 2 year olds:
- Universal Credit – if you and your partner have a combined income from work of less than £15,400 a year after tax
- Income Support (IS)
- Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) – not Contribution related
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance (IBJSA) – not Contribution based
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit.
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit with an annual taxable income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) of less than £16,190
- Working Tax Credit 4-week run on – the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
Children are entitled if any of the following applies to them:
- Children who are 2 and receive Disability Living Allowance
- Children who are 2 and have been adopted, or who have left care through special guardianship or child arrangement orders
- Children who are 2 and have an Education, Health and Care Plan
- Children who are 2 and are looked after by the local authority
How to apply
Evidence will only need to be sent without prior request if an application is made and the child qualifies by receiving Disability Living Allowance. In this case, a copy of the latest award letter from the Department for Work and Pensions will need to be submitted before the application can be processed. We recommend attaching the evidence to the form at the time of application.
If the parent is submitting the application online, they can send a copy to email@example.com or post a copy to: Entitlements Team, County Hall, Taunton, TA1 4DY.
If the parent or carer is successful, they will be notified in writing and we will send them a list of approved providers in their area.
Ask the parent or carer for their acceptance letter and a copy of their child’s birth certificate or passport before offering them a funded 2 year old place at your establishment. If the date of birth on the letter is not the same as the date of birth on the legal documentation, contact us immediately on 01823 357039, as the child may not be eligible on the date stated on the acceptance letter.
Change of address
The Change of address form below must be completed if a child has recently moved to a new address. It is important that this is completed otherwise the address we hold for the child will be incorrect and the starting school information could be sent to the wrong address.
Positive experiences of schools delivering quality provision
Film clips to promote positive experiences of schools delivering quality provision for 2 year olds