We believe that the basic needs for disabled children are no different from those of any other child. But we recognise that some disabled children have additional needs, or face extra barriers which prevent their inclusion in society. And it is those children, that we try hard to support.
This service covers:
- Children’s Social Care Disability Early Support Services
- Community Inclusion and Activity Team
- Somerset Supporter Scheme (children with disabilities)
- Direct Payment Scheme
- Short Breaks Children’s Homes
- Short Breaks Foster Care
- Home based care
The team works closely with colleagues in the Health and Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities Services, and the Inclusion Team within Education.
If you are a professional and wish to make a referral to Children’s Social Care, it must be submitted using our multi-agency referral form – the Early Help Assessment (EHA) which you can find at: www.professionalchoices.org.uk
The Children with Disabilities Service offers an assessment for disabled children and their families.
This document provides information about the range of Services available to families of children and young people with a disability or additional need living in Somerset aged 0-18 years.
Community Inclusion and Activity Team
Community – We want to enable children and young people with a disability or additional need and their families to access their local community.
Inclusion – We want children and young people with a disability or additional need to feel included in their community and in clubs and activities.
Activity – We can signpost children and young people with a disability or additional need to many opportunities to access regular clubs and activities in the school holidays. We offer some of these activities ourselves and work with many other organisations who offer great activities too. This information is sent to you in our newsletters and calendars.
Team – We cover the whole of Somerset and our team work directly with referred families to offer support, information and guidance, as well as offering activities and clubs. We are part of the Children With Disabilities Team.
If your child or young person:
- has a diagnosed disability or is currently going through the process of an assessment
- has an Education, Health and Care plan (EHC plan)
- is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance or PIP
You can refer to the Community Inclusion and Activity Team for time-limited support for your family to help with information, advice and signposting, and possible funding to help you to access local opportunities.
- Winter holiday activity calendar
- Community Inclusion and Activity Team Flyer
- Free Activity Day Passes – Available all year round for all families in Somerset with a child or young person with a disability or additional need.
- Events calendar – search Community Inclusion and Activity
- Follow us on Facebook @LocalOfferSomerset