Legislation (laws about the rights people have and the duties local authorities and partners have to provide for them)
- Young person’s guide to the Children and Families Act 2014
- Special Educational Needs and Disabilities: a guide for parents and carers
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice 2014 and 2015 – Statutory guidance for organisations which work with and support children and young people who have SEND.
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014 – Requirements for assessing children and young peoples education, health and care needs and putting in place provision to meet needs and resolve disagreements.
- Special Educational Needs (Personal Budgets) Regulations 2014 – Use of personal budgets and direct payments to provide special educational provision specified in an Education Health and Care Plan.
- Children and Families Act 2014 – Part 3 covers children and young people with SEND.
- Care Act 2014 – Local authorities have a duty to assess and provide support for publicly funded care needs.
- Equality Act 2010 – Protects individuals from discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and 2005 – Making it unlawful to discriminate against disabled persons in the provision of services.
- The Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 – Requires local authorities to provide welfare services for people with disabilities.
- Mental Capacity Act Code of Practice 2007 guidance for decisions supporting care and treatment of over 16 year olds who lack capacity (please note there is an overlap for 16 to 18 year olds with the Children Act 1989).
Last reviewed:September 28, 2022 byJennifer
Next review due:March 28, 2023Back to top