If you or someone living in your property is disabled, you may qualify for a disabled facilities grant towards the cost of providing adaptations and facilities to enable the disabled person to continue to live there.

The best place to start is an Occupational Therapist’s assessment as this can give advice and information to help a child or young person remain as independent as possible. They will talk with parent carers to understand what could help you and your child or young person.

The assessment may recommend that major alterations are needed to your home, such as putting in a stair-lift or wet-floor shower. If this is the case we will make a referral on your behalf to the District Council to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). Adaptations that can be considered for a Disabled Facilities Grant include:

  • Widening doors and installing ramps
  • Making the home safe
  • Improving access to rooms and facilities for example stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • Providing a heating system suitable for your needs
  • Adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

For more information or to make a referral phone Customer Contact on 0300 123 2224 and request an Occupational Therapy Assessment from the Sensory, Physical Occupational Team (SPOT).

Last reviewed:July 5, 2022 byJennifer

Next review due:January 5, 2023

Back to top